“Difficult Morning” for Metro’s Red Line Commuters

It was a “difficult” morning for Metro riders commuting on the Red Line Friday.

Metro officials said two separate incidents of arcing insulators resulted in rail service being suspended during the morning rush hour.

The arcing, Metro officials said, was likely sparked by water infiltration into the tunnels overnight from heavy rains.

WMATA spokesperson Richard Jordan said the first arcing incident was reported before 8 a.m. between the Medical Center and Grosvenor stations in Montgomery County. According to Jordan, service was temporarily suspended between the two stations, and then trains were able to single track. He said full service between these stations was restored by 10:20 a.m.

Another report of an arcing insulator was reported at 9:15 a.m. near the Dupont Circle and Van Ness stations. He said a shuttle service was set up and service was restored between those stations by late morning.

On Twitter, some Metro riders said it took them two hours to get to work while others noted it was faster to walk.

A statement on Metro’s Twitter account noted that the suspensions of rail service were for safety reasons. “This led to severe delays and crowding across the line,” the statement said. “We sincerely apologize for the delays/disruptions and inconvenience you experienced.”

Like this post? Sign up for our Daily Update here.
Sonya Burke

About Sonya Burke

Sonya Burke is the Multimedia Manager at Montgomery Community Media (MCM). You can email story ideas at sburke@mymcmedia.org or reach her on Twitter @SonyaNBurke.


One Response to ““Difficult Morning” for Metro’s Red Line Commuters”

  1. Avatar
    On June 23, 2017 at 2:56 pm responded with... #

    Just business as usual on the Red Line. But what is very disconcerting is the four Metro kiosk staff that stood around talking last night as two Chinese visitors were asking for help purchasing tickets from the machine at Metro Center. Not one of these folks had the courtesy to come out of their booth and assist these folks. I helped them when I realized that the kiosk workers were too busy with their conversation.

Engage us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter