Fire Causes $100,000 in Damage and Displaces Nine People

fire11092An unattended candle is to blame for a fire that caused $100,000 at a townhouse at 3808 Gawayne Terrace in the Silver Spring area, according to a Montgomery County fire and rescue services official.

Fire and Rescue Spokesperson Pete Piringer said the blaze displaced eight adults and one child from the home.

One person was transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation, Piringer said.

According to Piringer, there were smoke alarms in the residence but the safety devices were not working.

After the blaze was extinguished, firefighters went door to door in Georgian Colonies to make sure that adjacent neighbors’ smoke alarms were working too.

Like this post? Sign up for our Daily Update here.

About Sonya Burke

Sonya Burke is the Multimedia Manager at Montgomery Community Media (MCM). You can email story ideas at or reach her on Twitter @SonyaNBurke.


| Comments are closed.

Engage us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter