Fire Officials Remind Residents to Think Smart Ash

Winter time for fire and safety crews can be the busiest time of year.

Last weekend was unusually busy for Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services, according to the department’s spokesperson, Pete Piringer.

The reason? Well in addition to broken pipes, the mishandling of chimney and fireplace ashes contributed to several significant fires last weekend.

“If you’re using a fireplace and chimney, put the ashes in a disposable metal container. We call that smart ashes,” Piringer said. “If you put them in a combustible container, plastic or a brown paper bag, that’s dumb ash and can lead to a fire.”

Piringer also urges people to give electrical heating systems some space by unplugging and not overusing them.

For more safety tips, click here. 

Like this post? Sign up for our Daily Update here.
Mitti Hicks

About Mitti Hicks

Mitti Hicks is a multimedia journalist and community engagement specialist with Montgomery Community Media. She is passionate about telling stories that impact our community and may be reached at and on Twitter @mittimegan.


| Comments are closed.

Engage us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter