House Fire Sends Three to the Hospital

fire for slider 450x 280Fire officials said careless smoking caused a house fire in the 300 block of Prelude Drive in Silver Spring on Dec. 28 that sent three people to the hospital.

One patient was admitted, fire officials said, and two others were treated and released.

Firefighters responded to the blaze at 5:30 a.m. and according to a fire report, once on scene, learned that one of the occupants was adjusting the Christmas lights behind the tree while reportedly smoking a cigarette. Soon after, according to the fire report, the Christmas tree was on fire.

Firefighters have ruled the fire accidental and attributed the cause to careless use of smoking materials.

The fire caused $275,000 damage to the structure and $175,000 damage to the contents, according to a fire report.

Like this post? Sign up for our Daily Update here.
Sonya Burke

About Sonya Burke

Sonya Burke is the Multimedia Manager at Montgomery Community Media (MCM). You can email story ideas at or reach her on Twitter @SonyaNBurke.


| Comments are closed.

Engage us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter