February 21, 2017 | Staff Writer

Garage Fire Causes an Estimated $125,000 in Damages in Germantown (PHOTOS)

About 45 Montgomery County firefighters responded to an overnight garage fire in Germantown on Monday morning. It happened around 12:30 a.m., on Feb. 20, in the 19000 block of Noble Oak Drive, according to Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson Pete Piringer. When firefighters arrived, he said, the detached garage was fully engulfed in flames. […]

Read more

January 10, 2017 | Sonya Burke

House Fire Causes $300,000 in Damages in Layhill

A house fire on Monday evening in Layhill caused an estimated $300,000 in damages and displaced two people, according to a Montgomery County fire official. Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson Pete Piringer said the fire on Turnmore Road was accidental and sparked by misplaced fireplace ashes in the garage. According to Piringer, dozens of firefighters […]

Read more

December 21, 2016 | Sonya Burke

Rockville House Fire Causes $600,000 in Damages, Two People Displaced (PHOTOS & VIDEO)

Montgomery County firefighters battled a house fire on Tuesday night in the 1700 block of Pasture Brook Way in Rockville. Fire and Rescue Services spokesperson Pete Piringer said when firefighters arrived at the scene, around 10:45 p.m. on Dec. 20, there were flames throughout the house. According to Piringer, the occupants of the house safely […]

Read more

May 2, 2015 | Sonya Burke

Bethesda House Fire Causes $90,000 in Damages (PHOTOS)

A house fire in the 5400 block of Wilson Lane in Bethesda caused an estimated $90,000 in damages on Saturday morning and displaced two residents, according to a Montgomery County fire official. Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Spokesperson Pete Piringer said the blaze was caused by improperly placed fireplace ashes next to the house at […]

Read more

February 16, 2015 | Sonya Burke

Ritchie Avenue Fire Displaces Four Residents in Silver Spring

A fire at 724 Ritchie Avenue caused an estimated $85,000 in damage and displaced a family of four, according to Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services Spokesperson Pete Piringer. Piringer said the fire was sparked by displaced fireplace ashes outside the house. There were no injuries, he said. More…Ritchie Av: Cause, misplaced FP ashes, too […]

Read more

December 2, 2013 | Staff Writer

photo Steve Lohr

Fireplace Safety Tips

As the cold season officially arrives, residents are reminded that fireplace and wood-stove ashes retain enough heat to ignite other combustible materials for several days after a fire and should NEVER be disposed of in the trash. “Ashes can remain hot enough to rekindle a fire for several days and the exact amount of time […]

Read more

Engage us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter