Hand Sanitizer, Cigarette Smoke, Poor Ventilation Lead to Car Fire in Rockville

At around 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, a car fire started in the Federal Plaza Shopping Center’s parking lot in Rockville and resulted in the total loss of the vehicle.

Pete Piringer, spokesperson for Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services, tweeted that an adult was treated for minor burns and was taken to the hospital. The adult’s injuries were non-life-threatening, according to Piringer.

The cause of the fire was a combination of the driver using hand sanitizer and smoking a cigarette. Piringer tweeted that this is a bad combination in an unventilated area such as a car.

Like this post? Sign up for our Daily Update here.

About Deirdre Byrne

Deirdre Byrne is a social media coordinator for Montgomery Community Media. She can be reached at dbyrne@mymcmedia.org or on twitter at @DeirdreByrneMCM.

Comments

| No comments yet.



Engage us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter