MCPS sent out an alert this afternoon. It states 16 schools will begin virtual learning on Thursday, Jan. 20. The schools will remain in a period of virtual learning for 10 days through Friday, Jan. 29.
A number of factors determined these decisions including student attendance rate, staff absences, lack of viable bus routes, unfilled substitute requests, Covid-19 rates among students and staff, and feedback from a multistakeholder group in the community.
The one day delay allows for teacher preparation.
School communities will receive individual letters outlining the circumstances for their school.
Families will receive information and resources about what to expect during this period.
Schools listed include:
- Beall Elementary School
- Briggs Chaney Middle School
- Brookhaven Elementary School
- Clopper Mill Elementary School
- Captain James E. Daly Elementary School
- Gaithersburg Elementary School
- Glenallen Elementary School
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School
- Lakelands Park Middle School
- Neelsville Middle School
- Paint Branch High School
- RICA – John L. Gilder Regional Institute for Children and Adolescents
- Sargent Shriver Elementary School
- Twinbrook Elementary School
- Watkins Mill Elementary School
- Whetstone Elementary School
Community Message: 16 MCPS Schools to Enter Virtual Learning Beginning Jan. 20: https://t.co/NLfXIrBslM
— MCPS (@MCPS) January 18, 2022