Each sponsoring college or university selected scholarship winners from among finalists in the 2020 National Merit Scholarship Program. These awards provide between $500 and $2,000 annually for up to four years of undergraduate study at the institution financing the scholarship.
The eight MCPS college-sponsored scholarship recipients represent more than half of the 15 recipients in the state of Maryland.
Earlier this year, it was announced that 51 MCPS students had been awarded National Merit Scholarships—33 students received college-sponsored scholarships, 18 received National Merit $2,500 Scholarships.
The eight recipients of the college-sponsored scholarships, their intended career field, and sponsoring university or college are:
Montgomery Blair High School, Silver Spring
- Karen J. Yang, University of Maryland, engineering
- Hannah J. Kim, Harvey Mudd College, science/research
Richard Montgomery High School, Rockville
- Eujin K. Lee, University of Maryland, architecture
- Kush V. Savsani, Virginia Commonwealth University, medicine
- Ayesha Khawaja, Boston College, neurosurgery
Northwest High School, Germantown
- Rachel Pang, Emory University, healthcare
Poolesville High School
- Gurshaan S. Mann, University of Maryland, mechanical engineering
Wheaton High School, Silver Spring
- Christopher T. Vu, University of Maryland, software engineering