Here’s an overview of what’s open and what’s closed in Montgomery County this Independence Day weekend:
County Offices – closed
Libraries – closed
Alcohol Beverage Services (ABC) Liquor and Wine stores – Retail stores will be open regular hours: Sunday, July 4, noon-5 p.m. (except Poolesville store, which is closed on Sundays); Monday, July 5, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. (Poolesville store will be open noon-7 p.m.).
Ride On Flex On-Demand Bus Service – Will resume operations on July 19.
TRiPS Commuter Store at Silver Spring Transit Center – Closed July 5.
Parking at public garages, lots, curbside meters – free
Metrorail and Metrobus – Information is available here.
MARC Train and Commuter Bus – Information is available here.
County Refuse/recycling pickup – no change to the schedule.
The Shady Grove Transfer Station will be closed on Sunday, July 4. It will be open during regular hours (7 a.m.-5 p.m.) on Monday, July 5. County Department of Environmental Protection administrative offices at the transfer station will be closed. All operations will remain as normal.
Recreation – Outdoor pools are open noon-7 p.m. Indoor aquatic facilities open 6 a.m.- 6 p.m. All recreation centers, senior centers and administrative offices are closed.
Montgomery Parks open facilities include:
- Parks, trails, gardens, playgrounds, dog parks, skate parks), outdoor exercise stations and outdoor tennis/pickleball and basketball courts open daily sunrise to sunset. (*select outdoor courts are available for rental.)
- Picnic shelters and campfire rings are available for rental at several locations.
- Little Bennett Campground
- Boat rentals at Lake Needwood and Little Seneca Lake
- Cabin John Miniature Train and Wheaton Miniature Train and Carousel
- South Germantown SplashPark and Mini Golf
- South Germantown Driving Range
- The in-line hockey rink at Ridge Road Recreational Park and street hockey/futsal rink at Dewey Local Park may be permitted, or are available first-come, first-serve, if not reserved.
- Brookside Gardens. grounds open daily sunrise-sunset, Visitor Center and Gift Shop open daily 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Conservatory open daily 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Black Hill Nature Programs. Saturday and Sunday, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Brookside Nature Center. Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sunday, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Locust Grove Nature Center. Saturday 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.. Closed Sunday, July 4.
- Josiah Henson Museum and Park , Saturday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.. Timed entry tickets are required. Closed on Friday, July 2, and Sunday, July 4.
- Woodlawn Manor Cultural Park. Museum and Visitor Center, Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m..
Open Parkways Schedule – Portions of Sligo Creek Parkway, Beach Drive and Little Falls Parkway will be open to pedestrians and bicyclists for exercise and recreation during the following times:
- Friday, July 2. 9 a.m. through Tuesday, July 6, 7 a.m.
- Sligo Creek Parkway
- Old Carroll Avenue to Piney Branch Road (1.1 miles)
- Forest Glen Road to University Boulevard West (1.5 miles)
- Beach Drive from Connecticut Avenue to Knowles Avenue (2.7 miles)
- Saturday, July 3. 7 a.m. through Tuesday, July 6, 7 a.m.
- Little Falls Parkway from River Road to Arlington Road (1 mile)
The following Montgomery Parks facilities will be closed in observance of Independence Day:
- Montgomery Parks Headquarters and Permits Offices (closed July 5).
- Montgomery Parks Customer Service Office (closed July 3 and July 5).
- Pauline Betz Addie and Wheaton Indoor Tennis Centers (closed July 4).
- Cabin John Ice Rink and Wheaton Ice Arena (closed July 4).
- Josiah Henson Museum and Park (closed July 2 and 4).
- Locust Grove Nature Center (closed July 4).
- Meadowside Nature Center is closed for building renovations.