No birds died following a fire in a chicken coop on Kayson Street in Silver Spring Monday. They escaped the flames in an attached run area.
A heat lamp hanging from the ceiling is believed to have fallen and ignited bedding materials, according to Pete Piringer, spokesperson for the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services. Piringer estimated the damage at $5,000.
Several of the birds, including chickens, roosters and ducks, may be displaced.
Update – R/O Kayson St, coop had a heat lamp hanging from ceiling above area most damaged; Investigators believe a lamp fell to floor, ignited bedding materials (for fowls); Unfortunately several chickens perished in the fire, but majority of flock migrated to attached ‘run’ area https://t.co/J8f2f95x2E pic.twitter.com/KgnLp4rBb3
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) January 24, 2023