Montgomery County Public Libraries (MCPL) will offer free online and in-person workshops and one-on-one sessions for job seekers and entrepreneurs throughout September. The objectives of the workshops are aimed at helping job seekers build resumes, search for jobs using LinkedIn, prepare for job interviews and learn software applications like Google Drive.
Additionally, the county is offering sessions for entrepreneurs seeking to establish small businesses and hire employees. The workshops address topics like knowing when to start your business as well as the fundamentals of building businesses.
A smartphone, tablet or computer and internet connection are required for the sessions.
Schedule of Virtual Workshops:
- Throughout September – Every Monday. 9:30-11:30 a.m. H.I.R.E. (Helping Individuals Reach Employment) Sessions – Virtual.*Meet virtually/confidentially one-on-one with a career counselor for advice and assistance with your job search.
– Monday, Sept. 12: https://mcpl.libnet.info/event/7129017
– Monday, Sept. 19: https://mcpl.libnet.info/event/7129022
– Monday, Sept. 26: https://mcpl.libnet.info/event/7129027
- Tuesday, Sept. 13. 1-2 p.m. Google Drive Basics – Virtual.* Learn how to use a cloud-based storage solution that allows you to save files online, access them anywhere from any smartphone, tablet or computer and collaborate with others. Also learn how to use Google Drive. This month, course will review creating, saving and sharing documents created in Google Docs.
- Tuesday, Sept. 20: 10-11:30 a.m. Introduction to Entrepreneurship (English) – Virtual.* Maryland Women’s Business Center. Workshop will cover the fundamentals of building a business and help determine if you are ready to become a small business owner. Presented in partnership with the Maryland Women’s Business Center.
- Tuesday/Thursday, Sept. 20 and 22. 5:30-8 p.m. LinkedIn Boot Camp (Part I / Part II) – Virtual.* This popular two-session/two-day workshop focuses on both the mechanics and strategy of using LinkedIn as a tool to conduct a successful job search.
- Wednesday, Sept. 21: 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. How to Apply for Jobs with Montgomery County Government – Virtual.* Learn about applying for jobs with Montgomery County Government.
- Tuesday, Sept. 27: 1-3 p.m. Job Search Strategies (in a Pandemic) – Virtual.*Learn about best practices for conducting a job search in the current (pandemic) job market.
- Wednesday, Sept. 28: 1-3 p.m. How to Prepare for your Virtual Job Interview – Virtual.* Learn how to differentiate yourself from other candidates, be Zoom ready, package your experience, tell your story, be ready for challenging questions and feel more confident in your next interview.
Schedule of In-Person Workshop:
- Throughout September – Every Monday. 2-4 p.m. Job and Resume Help Program – In-person. Get help with your resume or job search. Staff at the Brigadier General Charles E. McGee Library in Silver Spring will point you to relevant resources.
– Monday, Sept. 12: https://mcpl.libnet.info/event/7119174
– Monday, Sept. 19: https://mcpl.libnet.info/event/7119175
– Monday, Sept. 26: https://mcpl.libnet.info/event/7119176
Workshop details and scheduling information retrieved from https://www2.montgomerycountymd.gov/mcgportalapps/Press_Detail.aspx?Item_ID=42083