A family of four – two adults and two children – has been displaced from their home in Kensington after a fire on Tuesday, according to Pete Piringer, the spokesperson for Montgomery County Fire and Rescue.
Piringer said on Twitter that the fire originated in the basement and extended into the second floor and attic of the family’s two story house in the 4200 block of Colchester Dr. in Kensington.
Firefighters responded to the emergency at around 12:45 p.m. on Tuesday afternoon to find significant fire in the rear of the home which was under renovation, Piringer tweeted. About 45 firefighters responded to the fire which was brought under control. The fire is under investigation.
About 1245p 1/14 @mcfrs Battalion 4 , Dave Polikoff responding & arriving on scene at Kensington Estates @MontgomeryCoMD House Fire pic.twitter.com/jrZphEHNjC
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) January 14, 2020
Update – 4200 Colchester Dr; scenario, renovation/demo of concrete slab & foundation shifted & caused natural gas leak in basement, which found ignition source, an explosion blew out temporary rear wall, ignited 1st floor joist space & extended; Damage ~$300K; 1 family displaced pic.twitter.com/mkGNfkxTrb
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) January 15, 2020
The damage to the home is significant, according to Piringer, there’s around $300,000 worth of damage in total.