Kensington Fire Displaces Family, Causes $325,000 in Damage

A fire in Kensington Tuesday resulted in the displacement of a family and more than $325,000 in damages, according to Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson Pete Piringer.

MCFRS responded to the 4100 block of Denfeld Avenue at approximately 12:40 p.m. for a report of a house fire. Roughly 45 firefighters were present. Two adults, two children, and two pets suffered no injuries.

The fire started on the exterior of the house. It then traveled up the siding and into the attic, Piringer wrote in a Tweet. The blaze originated with ashes from a fire pit which had been improperly stored in a paper bag.

According to MCFRS, ashes can be as dangerous as the actual fire in a fire pit. Coals and ashes from fires can remain hot enough to reignite and start a fire for many days after the fire is out.

To prevent fires, ashes should be allowed to cool in place for several days. Before placing them in a metal container with a tight-fitting lid, individuals should wet the ashes down. Individuals should place that container outside, no less than 10 feet from their homes.

Ashes stored in a paper or plastic bag, cardboard box, plastic container or bucket pose a fire hazard. Additionally, individuals should never store ashes near combustable materials such as wood piles or fences. Disposing of ashes on a windy day can cause nearby combustable materials to ignite.

Write a Comment

Related Articles