Loose Batteries Cause Accidental House Fire

Two people have been displaced after loose batteries caused their two-story North Potomac home to accidentally catch fire.

Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services (MCFRS) responded to the house in the 14600 block of Settlers Landing Way at around 5:30 p.m. Wednesday. According to Pete Piringer, spokesperson for MCFRS, the fire originated in the kitchen, started by a basket of loose batteries in one of the base cabinets when a 9-volt short circuited. The fire then broke through the cabinet and extended upward. Approximately 50 firefighters were on the scene. No one was injured. Damages are estimated at over $80,000.

According to officials, 9-volts have been known to cause fires. The batteries are a common household item, but can easily become dangerous when their positive and negative posts touch metal—unintentionally shorting them out.

Like this post? Sign up for our Daily Update here.
Avatar

About Tori Bergel

Tori Bergel is an intern at Montgomery Community Media. She is a rising senior within the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland. She can be reached at tbergel@mymcmedia.org. Follow her on twitter at @BergelTori.

Comments

| Comments are closed.

Engage us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter