Montgomery College sent out a false report over Twitter of an active shooter on the campus Friday morning.
“It was a false alarm sent out in error,” college spokesman Marcus Rosano said. Within minutes of the initial message, the school tweeted a correction/retraction.
MC ALERT: There is NO THREAT. The "active shooter" message was sent in ERROR. There is NO THREAT. We apologize for the erroneous message.
— Montgomery College (@montgomerycoll) November 1, 2019
The tweet, which was sent in error and has since been deleted, was part of a training exercise, but the message was not sent out in “training mode,” he said.
“This involves the safety of our students and employees. This is something we take seriously,” Rosano said.
The message, according to the Twitter feed of Kevin Lewis, an ABC7 reporter, did not name which of the college’s three campuses was threatened by the shooter. The tweet also instructed students to go to the nearest room and lock the door.
The college sent out a similar tweet in error last year.