County Accepting Applications Through Feb. 3, 2020
Montgomery County currently has openings for 9-1-1 call taker/dispatchers in the County’s Emergency Communication Center (ECC). Applications may be submitted online from now through Feb. 3, 2020, here.
The ECC is responsible for all 9-1-1 calls placed in the County. The Public Safety Emergency Communications Specialist (Emergency Call Taker/Dispatcher) obtains location and other pertinent details from the caller to make the initial determination of the level and type of service needed when processing emergency calls for service. This is a challenging and rewarding career that provides a vital service to the community. Major duties include answering 9-1-1 emergency calls, and dispatching police officers and/or fire rescue personnel to respond to calls using modern computer based Public Safety Communication Systems.
Job seekers must have a high school diploma and one year of work experience that involved the public. Applicants must have the ability to:
- Successfully complete a one year on-the-job training program.
- Obtain emergency call taking certifications.
- Demonstrate strong communication and customer service skills.
- Demonstrate attention to detail.
- Multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- Perform duties under electronic monitoring to include the recording of all telephone conversations and radio transmissions.
- Perform work assignments in a 24/7 work environment to include holidays, weekends and shifts during days, evenings or midnights.
- Accept short notice/ same day schedule changes and work mandatory overtime.
- Contain emotions, remain calm, respectful, and professional with challenging callers.
All applicants go through the department’s selection process, which begins with the initial online application. The process includes a computerized exam, an appraisal interview, background investigation, medical and psychological examinations, and a chance to observe at the ECC. A brochure is available, here.
Learn more about the ECC and the role of Communication Specialist in this short video:
The application process for the position of Public Safety Emergency Communications Specialist (911 call taker/ dispatcher) will be open from December 9, 2019, through February 3, 2020. https://t.co/nUPA5jJ4rb pic.twitter.com/46lZosDARi
— Montgomery County Department of Police (@mcpnews) December 6, 2019