Montgomery Village Apartment Fire Displaces 17 Residents, Causes $500,000 in Damage

A fire Monday evening in a Montgomery Village apartment building caused an estimated $500,000 in damage and displaced 17 residents, according to Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service spokesman Pete Piringer.

The three-story building in the 9900 block of Walker House Road caught fire around 5:30 p.m. Monday, Piringer said. It started with an electrical outlet behind a sofa in the living room of a terrace-level apartment and then extended to the upper floors.

Four apartment units — which housed nine adults, eight children and a few pets — were affected, according to Piringer. The Red Cross is assisting them. Several residents were evaluated for smoke inhalation, one of which was hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries.

Heavy smoke overtook other areas of the building. Firefighters rescued several residents with ground ladders and assisted others out of the building, Piringer said.

Members of the Fire and Rescue Service will return to the scene Tuesday from 4 to 6 p.m. so they can check smoke alarms and provide fire safety information to neighbors.

Like this post? Sign up for our Daily Update here.

About Bryan Gallion

Bryan Gallion is a freelance reporter for Montgomery Community Media. He previously interned with MCM in the spring of 2019. Bryan recently earned a master's degree in journalism at the University of Maryland. He can be reached at bgallion@mymcmedia.org.

Comments

| Comments are closed.

Engage us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter