Seneca Valley High School is opening a larger school in the 2020-2021 school year to alleviate overcrowding at Clarksburg and Northwest high schools.
The new state of the art high school will ensure that all 2,600+ students have access to courses and programs that provide the academic knowledge to be prepared for college, but also the skills and experiences to gain a competitive edge in today’s economy.
Officials say all of the programs currently at Seneca Valley will remain. Additionally, several new high-demand programs have been planned as part of the new facility. New programs include the addition of the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program (subject to authorization), Cyber Security, Construction and Architecture, Hospitality and Tourism Management, Law Enforcement, and more.
— SVHS 2.0 (@THENEWSVHS) September 26, 2019
Did you know that @SenecaValleyHS is opening a larger school in the 2020-2021 school year? Learn about programs the school will offer, as well as about deadlines for application programs: https://t.co/9gYJhrZsUv pic.twitter.com/RmzoMtm8zX
— MCPS (@MCPS) September 24, 2019
Here’s a list of the new application career readiness programs:
- NEW Construction Management and Architecture*
- Construction Management
- Foundations of Building and Construction Technology
- Construction Electricity
- Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning
- Principles of Architecture and CAD Technology
- Healthcare Professions
- NEW Hospitality and Tourism Management*
- NEW Information Technology and Cybersecurity*
- IT Networking Academy (Cisco)
- NAF Academy of Information Technology
- Computer Science/Code.org
- Cyber-security Capstone
- NEW TBD IT pathways
- Project Lead the Way Engineering
IB and Montgomery College
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Program
- NEW International Baccalaureate Career-related Program (subject to authorization process)
- NEW International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program (subject to authorization process)
- Montgomery College Institute
Local/Part-time Career Readiness Programs
- Automotive Technology*
- Early Childhood Development
- NEW Law Enforcement and Leadership
- Naval Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps(NJROTC)
- NEW Apprenticeship Maryland
- College and Career Readiness Research and Development(CCRD)
- NEW Career Readiness Education Academy (CREA)
The Board of Education will decide about boundaries in late November 2019. Due to the overlapping timeline, all students interested in Seneca Valley’s application-based programs should apply by Nov. 1, regardless of whether they are in or out of the school’s current boundaries.
Learn more about the boundary study.
Information about how to apply to high school programs is available here.
- 4:High school program applications available
- 1:Deadline for Seneca Valley’s application-based programs
- 26:Board of Education will make boundary decision
- January 31:Invitations to application-based programs will be distributed
- February 21:Deadline to accept invitation to application-based programs
— SVHS 2.0 (@THENEWSVHS) September 13, 2019