Senior Planet Montgomery is offering free online classes this week that are focused on how to thrive at home.
The classes offered live will include Zoom video conferencing, mindfulness apps, online shopping and sharing local resources with residents, according to the county.
“Classes, which are offered live via video conference, enhance a wide variety of life skills,” stated the county.
In addition to the classes this week, three more will be held next week in Spanish. Senior Planet will also be offering online exercise classes.
Senior Planet is a technology training program for people who are age 60 and older. The online classes are focused on giving seniors user friendly tools and resources on how to use technology in order to better their everyday lives.
Senior Planet uses the nonprofit Older Adults Technology Services’ curriculum and training staff. OATS works with the county to find topics of interest for residents of Montgomery County, according to the county.
All that is needed to participate in the weekly classes is a device such as a smart phone or computer and internet.
Listed below are the classes that are being offered this week:
- Online Shopping: Tuesday, April 14. 1-2 p.m. Lecture will provide a general introduction to shopping online and will demonstrate using Amazon Fresh and Instacart for grocery delivery.
- Good Morning Montgomery County: Wednesday, April 15. 10-11 a.m. Join other County residents for a morning hour spent over a second cup of coffee to share locally relevant tips and resources.
- Mindfulness Apps: Wednesday, April 15. 1-2 p.m. Lecture introduces mindfulness and its physical and mental benefits, such as reducing anxiety, improving memory and lowering blood pressure.
- All Things Zoom: Thursday, April 16. 1-2 p.m. Learn how to use Zoom video conferencing to chat with friends and family—and how to take virtual classes with Senior Planet.
- How to Initiate a Zoom Meeting: Friday, April 17. 10 a.m.-noon. Program will go over the features of having and using a Zoom account: how to create an account, create a meeting, share meeting details and invite participants and adjust meeting settings.
The program is supported by OATS, the County’s Department of Technology Services ultraMontgomery program, the County’s Department of Recreation and Montgomery County Public Libraries.
Senior Planet Montgomery, a technology training program designed for County learners 60 and older, is offering free online classes that focus on how to thrive at home. Learn more: https://t.co/GjLzjplf5u pic.twitter.com/wQ2hmGwDQu
— Montgomery County MD (@MontgomeryCoMD) April 13, 2020