Maryland restaurants have been operating with only carryout and delivery services since dine-in service was banned throughout the State by order of Governor Larry Hogan due to the health crisis.
On May 5, organizers are asking people who place a takeout restaurant order to also make a donation to the nonprofit Small Things matter, which provides food to more than 350 needy families and individuals in the Takoma Park, Silver Spring and Rockville communities.
Join us for #TakeOutTuesday in Long Branch on 5/5. A special Cinco de Mayo. Take out a meal for your family and donate a meal for another family, if you can.
We decided to practice this weekend at La Casita, because… well… pupusas… pic.twitter.com/AXAF5q2Cr0
— Lorig Charkoudian (@LCharkoudian) May 3, 2020
Montgomery County Executive Marc Elrich, County Council Vice President Tom Hucker, Congressman Jamie Raskin, Maryland State Comptroller Pete Franchot, State Senator William Smith and State Delegates Lorig Charkoudian, David Moon and Jheanelle Wilkins have pledged their support.
“The County Council and I have made financial help available for businesses through the Public Health Emergency Grant program, but we know the best way to help restaurants is to order takeout meals and urge our neighbors and friends to do the same,” said County Executive Elrich. “I have been ordering takeout from restaurants around the County during this time and I challenge others on Cinco de Mayo to join me in supporting Long Branch restaurants or the local establishments in their communities.”
The Silver Spring Regional Office, the Long Branch Business League and nonprofit Montgomery Housing Partnership (MHP) have been working to organize the Long Branch takeout support.
Long Branch restaurants participating in Cinco de Mayo Takeout Tuesday:
- Chicken Loco. Information at https://chickenloco.org/locations-2/silver-spring-location/
- El Gavilan. Information at https://www.facebook.com/ElGavilanRestaurant/
- El Golfo. Information at https://www.elgolforestaurant.com/
- La Casita Pupuseria. Information at https://www.lacasitapupusas.com/
- La Pasión Panaderia y Restaurante. Information at https://www.facebook.com/La-Pasi%C3%B3n-Panaderia-y-Restaurante-1783638351908328
- Samantha’s Restaurant. Information at https://www.samanthasrestaurante.com/
- Veronica’s Bakery and Café. Information at https://www.veronicasbakeryss.com/
Another resource to determine the status of restaurants in the County is the MoCo Eats To-Go Guide by Visit Montgomery which may be found here.