Montgomery Parks, The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Committee and the Bethesda Urban Partnership will host a pop-up dog park at Elm Street Urban Park from July 15 to Aug. 15.
The temporary dog park will be open from sunrise to sunset in the northern section of Elm Street Urban Park, according to a Montgomery Parks press release. The 4,600-square foot area will be maintained by BUP with the same regulations as all other dog parks in the county.
What a fun evening! Thanks for joining us at Yappy Hour last night!
And, thanks to our partner, @BethesdaUP, for helping make it such a great event.
Just a reminder that the pop-up dog park will remain through August 15, and the space is open from sunrise to sunset. pic.twitter.com/8S4eZb6htc
— Montgomery Parks (@MontgomeryParks) July 16, 2021
The dog park was inspired by the popularity of “Yappy Hour,” an event occasionally hosted in the park that allows county residents and their dogs to socialize while they enjoy live music, drinks and food from Bethesda restaurants that sell at the event.
“Our Yappy Hour events have been incredibly popular, so we wanted to give park users the opportunity to take advantage of this pop-up amenity over the next month,” said Mike Riley, Director of Montgomery Parks. “Programs and events like this one give residents more ways to connect with neighbors and friends outdoors in our parks.”
The rules and regulations for the park include:
- Handlers may not have more than three dogs at the park at one time
- All dogs must be up to date on their vaccinations and wearing an identification tag
- Aggressive dogs, dogs in heat or dogs that bark frequently are not allowed
- Owners must pick up and dispose of their dog’s waste
- All dog or human food and glass containers are prohibited
- No smoking or vaping
- Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult