January 22, 2021 | Maryam Shahzad

Gaithersburg Police Say Station Evacuated After Receiving Bomb Threat

The Gaithersburg Police Department evacuated its station Thursday after an anonymous bomb threat was made, the Gaithersburg Police Department said. Around 1:36 p.m., police staff received a call with a recorded message saying a bomb was near the station, Spokesperson and Officer Dan Lane told MyMCM in an email. Staff was evacuated and county Fire […]

Read more

February 16, 2017 | Staff Writer

Residents Displaced After Fire in North Bethesda (VIDEO)

UPDATED A two alarm fire at the Gables on Tuckerman condominium homes in North Bethesda last night has displaced a dozen people, according to a Montgomery County fire official. Fire and Rescue Services spokesperson Pete Piringer said the fire occurred around 8:30 p.m. at Hampton Mill Terrace in the third level of a building. The […]

Read more

August 12, 2016 | Staff Writer

County Councilmember Nancy Navarro Issues Statement on Silver Spring Apartment Fire

Montgomery County Councilmember Nancy Navarro issued the following statement about the major apartment fire that occurred on Wednesday, Aug. 10, in the Long Branch section of Silver Spring: “As you may have seen on the news, in the early hours of this morning there was an explosion, fire, and building collapse at the Flower Branch […]

Read more

August 11, 2016 | Maureen Chowdhury

How to Help Residents Affected by Silver Spring Apartment Complex Explosion (VIDEO)

Montgomery County is working with nonprofits to assist residents who have been displaced after the tragic explosion that happened at the Flower Branch apartment complex in Silver Spring. In this MyMCMedia Extra video, Montgomery County Spokesperson Mary Anderson talks about how residents can help by donating to local nonprofit groups. Anderson said that approximately 90 […]

Read more

August 11, 2016 | Staff Writer

photo of councilmember Marc Elrich commenting on Starr's resignation

County Councilmember Marc Elrich Issues Statement about Silver Spring Apartment Fire

Montgomery County Councilmember Marc Elrich, chair of the Council’s Public Safety Committee, issued the following statement today about the explosion and major fire in the apartment building in the Long Branch section of Silver Spring: “The explosion, fire, and building collapse at the Flower Branch apartment buildings early this morning injured 34 people, including three […]

Read more

August 11, 2016 | Staff Writer

Explosion at Apartment Complex in Silver Spring (PHOTOS)

A search and rescue effort is underway at an apartment complex in Silver Spring following an overnight explosion and fire. It happened shortly before midnight in the 8600 block of Piney Branch Road. Over 100 firefighters were called to the scene of the three alarm fire. Firefighters said some occupants were trapped on the second […]

Read more

June 6, 2016 | Sonya Burke

Gas Leak in Gaithersburg, Portion of Fields Road Closed

Montgomery County firefighters responded to a nine-inch natural gas line break on Monday afternoon in the 9800 block of Fields Road in Gaithersburg. Fire and Rescue Services Spokesperson Pete Piringer said a backhoe struck the line. According to Piringer, Fields Road was closed between Rio Boulevard and Washingtonian Boulevard because of the break and dozens […]

Read more

August 20, 2014 | Krista Brick

Driver Trapped When Car Slams into Building in Rockville

UPDATED, Aug, 20, 6 p.m.- Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Spokesman Pete Piringer released new photos of a car that slammed into the MetLife office building Wednesday afternoon. 2403 Research Bl, MetLife Bldg at least 2 cars collided in parking lot (1 parked) & came to rest 25' in an office pic.twitter.com/wtELfLrbXv — Pete Piringer […]

Read more

June 3, 2014 | Sonya Burke

Forum Condominiums Evacuated

Montgomery County firefighters evacuated the Forum condominium building, a 17-story residential building, at 11801 Rockville Pike, shortly after 7 a.m. on June 3 because of high carbon monoxide levels on several floors. Fire Spokesperson Pete Piringer said hazardous materials crews have identified a malfunctioning water heater as the source of the carbon monoxide. He said […]

Read more

September 19, 2013 | Sonya Burke

Magruder High Evacuated After Report of Gas Odor

Magruder High School was evacuated on Sept. 19 shortly after 2 p.m. or around dismissal time after staff members complained about the odor of gas. Crews from Montgomery County fire rescue responded to the call and treated several students and staff who were complaining of headaches and nausea. Assistant Fire Chief Scott Graham reports seven […]

Read more

Engage us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter