fire

June 10, 2019 | Michelle Queen

Germantown Family Displaced After Townhouse Fire

Firefighters responded to a home located on the 13500 block of Station Street in Germantown around 5:30 p.m. on Sunday to find the second floor engulfed in heavy smoke and fire. Chief spokesperson for Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services, Pete Piringer says about 65 firefighters worked to get the blaze under control. Officials say […]

Read more

June 5, 2019 | Deirdre Byrne

Montgomery Village Family Displaced After Townhouse Fire

A family of five — three adults and two children — has been displaced from their home in Montgomery Village after a fire, according to Pete Piringer, the spokesperson for Montgomery County Fire and Rescue. Piringer said on Twitter that the fire originated on the second floor of the family’s three-level townhouse on Club Lake […]

Read more

June 2, 2019 | Deirdre Byrne

Overheated Stereo Causes Olney Apartment Fire, Displacing Dozens

An electrical fire at the Camelback Village apartments in Olney on Saturday has displaced more than 20 adult residents, 10 children, and several pets, according to Pete Piringer, the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson. The apartment is located at 3226 Spartan Road off of Route 108. Scott Goldstein, MCFRS’s fire chief, said on Twitter […]

Read more

May 14, 2019 | Deirdre Byrne

Fire Damages Gaithersburg Businesses, Destroys Barbershop

A fire has destroyed a Gaithersburg barbershop and brought significant damage to a number of businesses in Gaitherstowne Plaza near North Frederick Avenue and Chestnut Street. According to Pete Piringer, spokesperson for Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Services, more than 75 firefighters were on the scene after 5 a.m. on Tuesday responding to a fire […]

Read more

May 9, 2019 | Deirdre Byrne

Electrical Fire Displaces Gaithersburg Family

An electrical fire spread to the inside of a house on the 19000 block of Quail Valley Boulevard in Gaithersburg. According to Pete Piringer, spokesperson for Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Services, all occupants of the house were outside when the fire spread. Piringer said that firefighters were able to contain the fire, and eventually […]

Read more

May 8, 2019 | Sam Merrill

Tractor-Trailer Fire on I-270 Slows Morning Commute

A tractor-trailer caught on fire Wednesday morning on the southbound side of I-270 between Montgomery Village Avenue and I-370, causing lane closures and extensive delays. The trailer was carrying food products, and — according to Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesman Pete Piringer — most of the products were taken out of the trailer and saved from […]

Read more

May 6, 2019 | Deirdre Byrne

Montgomery, Howard, PG County Firefighters Contain Burtonsville Fire

Firefighters contained a large fire at Bell Nursery Factory in Burtonsville, according to Pete Piringer, the spokesperson for Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Services. According to Piringer, firefighters from Montgomery, Howard, and Prince George’s County were dispatched at around 12:20 p.m. on Monday in response to the fire. When firefighters arrived at the scene, Piringer […]

Read more

May 1, 2019 | Deirdre Byrne

Man May Face Life-Threatening Injuries from Fire

A fire burned “a two-story quad-style building” on Sage Way in Germantown on Wednesday, according to Chief Kelvin Tomas, the assistant public information officer for Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services. Thomas tweeted that firefighters extinguished the fire from a bedroom, and they evaluated two occupants of the house for injuries. Fire officials said on […]

Read more

May 1, 2019 | Sam Merrill

UMD Chemical Fire Sends 17 to the Hospital

A fire in the University of Maryland Chemical and Nuclear Engineering Building this morning hospitalized 17 people. A campus alert sent by University of Maryland Police said, “Individuals were conducting a lab experiment and a chemical reaction caught on fire.” Prince George’s County Fire Department spokesperson, Michael Yourishin, told The Diamondback that the people taken […]

Read more

April 22, 2019 | Deirdre Byrne

Fire Damages Chicken Basket in Gaithersburg

Firefighters responded to a fire “in the rear of the Chicken Basket” restaurant in Gaithersburg on North Summit Avenue at around 9 a.m. on Monday. E753 Operated as the 2nd due engine on the 8 box this morning. pic.twitter.com/FZrRNlNC3M — Professional Firefighters of NIST IAFF Local F161 (@IAFFF161) April 22, 2019 The cause of the […]

Read more

Engage us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter