Today is Thursday, May 13. Here are five things to know in Montgomery County.
1. Vaccine Preregistration For 12-15 Year Olds: Parents and guardians can now preregister their 12-15 year olds for a Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine at a county clinic.
2. County COVID-19 Testing: Free COVID-19 testing is available throughout the county at eight sites today.
3. Planning Board Meets: The Planning Board meets today at 9 a.m. The agenda includes a staff briefing on an initiative to evaluate and find ways to spur the development of more diverse types of housing in the county. The meeting is streamed online, learn how to watch here.
4. Gaithersburg Book Festival: Explore our ‘Guide to the 2021 Virtual Gaithersburg Book Festival‘ for more choices throughout the month. Today the festival includes two virtual events:
- Thursday, May 13 at noon: Kirsten Porter moderates a discussion between three poets about grief and aging—Miles David Moore, “Man on Terrace with Wine”; Naomi Thiers, “Made of Air”; and Jane Schapiro, “Warbler.”
- Thursday, May 13 at 7 p.m.: NPR’s Maureen Corrigan is in conversation with Jeanine Cummins, author of “American Dirt.”
5. MDOT SHA Virtual Meeting: As a pilot project, the Maryland Department of Transportation’s State Highway Administration (MDOT SHA) will install bike lanes along University Boulevard in Wheaton this summer. Today from 6 to 8 p.m. the MDOT SHA will host a virtual information session. Register here to attend the meeting.
And One More Thing: The Rockville time capsule will be unearthed today at the Rockville Senior Center after being underground for 26 years. The virtual event will take place at 5 p.m.
And as a reminder to our loyal readers…Find the latest coronavirus news updates in Montgomery County here.