October is National Energy Action Month, a federal-wide effort to promote sustainability and energy efficiency while encouraging the smart use of energy, water, and transportation resources. Here in Montgomery County, the public libraries and the Department of Environmental Protection are offering a light bulb exchange program where residents may exchange inefficient light bulbs for energy-efficient ones.
Celebrate #EnergyActionMonth by exchanging your energy inefficient lightbulbs for efficient ones. Save energy and keep more money in your pocket! https://t.co/F7gtsQsDhv https://t.co/baaV9VUCbu
— Montgomery County Dept of Environmental Protection (@MyGreenMC) October 1, 2021
According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, lighting consumes 10 percent of the total electricity used in homes. The light bulb exchange program may help residents lower their utility costs. A savings of more than $65 a year in energy costs is possible by replacing the bulbs in just five light fixtures.
Residents can bring their old incandescent and used CFL light bulbs to the following MCPL branches in exchange for new LED light bulbs. There is a limit of three bulbs per family at each event:
- Friday, Oct. 1 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Aspen Hill Library
4407 Aspen Hill Road
- Saturday, Oct. 9 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Chevy Chase Library
8805 Connecticut Ave.
- Tuesday, Oct. 12 from 1 to 3 p.m.
Connie Morella (Bethesda) Library
7400 Arlington Road
- Wednesday, Oct. 13 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
9701 Main Street
- Thursday, Oct. 14 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Davis Library (North Bethesda)
6400 Democracy Blvd
- Friday, Oct. 15 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
18330 Montgomery Village Ave.
- Saturday, Oct. 16 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Kensington Park Library
4201 Knowles Ave.
- Monday, Oct. 18 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Little Falls Library
5501 Massachusetts Ave.
- Tuesday, Oct. 19 from 1 to 3 p.m.
Long Branch Library
8800 Garland Ave.
- Wednesday, Oct. 20 from 11 a.m.- to 1 p.m.
Marilyn J. Praisner Library (Burtonsville)
14910 Old Columbia Pike
- Thursday, Oct. 21 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Noyes Library for Young Children
10237 Carroll Place
- Friday, Oct. 22 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m
3500 Olney-Laytonsville Rd.
- Saturday, Oct. 23 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
10101 Glenolden Drive
- Monday, Oct. 25 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Quince Orchard Library
15831 Quince Orchard Road
- Tuesday, Oct. 26 from 1 to 3 p.m.
Rockville Memorial Library
21 Maryland Ave.
- Wednesday, Oct. 27 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Silver Spring Library
900 Wayne Ave.
- Thursday, Oct. 28 from 1 to 3 p.m.
202 Meadow Hall Drive
- Friday, Oct. 29 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
11701 Georgia Avenue
- Saturday, Oct. 30, from 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
White Oak Library
11701 New Hampshire Ave.
More information on lowering utility costs is available on the Montgomery Energy Connection website.