A fire Thursday afternoon at The Fire Station 1 Restaurant & Bar in downtown Silver Spring caused more than $225,000 in damage, per Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service (MCFRS) Chief Spokesperson Pete Piringer.
There is about $75,000 of structural damage and more than $150,000 in damage to contents, Piringer wrote Friday morning.
He said the fire was caused by unattended hot oil which ignited and extended into the ventilation system, igniting built-up grease which then vented and extended to the roof membrane and structural materials.
Some lanes were blocked Thursday but Piringer said all were reopened by 5:47 p.m.
Update (10/13 ~4p) 8131 Ga Av,Silver Spring; Origin & Cause, unattended hot oil ignited, extended into ventilation system, igniting built up grease (which vented & extended to roof membrane & structural materials); Damage, total >$225K, incl ~$75K structure, >$150K contents https://t.co/dPV4XSWIGc pic.twitter.com/sUgZ8EQfqy
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) October 14, 2022
UPDATE – Georgia Avenue ALL lanes OPEN
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) October 13, 2022