Hogan Announces First Infant and Teenager Cases of COVID-19 Confirmed in Maryland

Gov. Larry Hogan said the first cases of COVID-19 in an infant and teenager in Maryland were confirmed Friday. 

In a statement, Hogan said no patients under 18 are currently hospitalized, and two-thirds of coronavirus cases are people ages 18-64. As of Friday morning, there are 149 cases in Maryland, with 51 in Montgomery County. 

Hogan urged people to avoid playgrounds, pavilions, and crowds of more than 10 people as they enjoy warm weather. 

He requested students returning from spring break travel to self-quarantine for 14 days and stay away from people over 60. 

“Even though students are not returning to campus, this should not in any way be treated as an extension of your spring break. If you ignore this recommendation, you are endangering yourself and the health of others,” Hogan said in the statement. 

The governor said everyone has a critically important role to play in stopping the spread of the coronavirus. 

“If every single Marylander steps up and does their part by making sacrifices now, it will slow the spread of this virus and save lives.”

Things are just getting started, Hogan said. 

“As I said yesterday, we are unfortunately only at the beginning of this crisis. We are all in this together, and we will only get through this if we work together,” he said. Hogan urged Marylanders not to take his advice lightly.

Like this post? Sign up for our Daily Update here.

About Maryam Shahzad

Maryam is a reporter with Montgomery Community Media. She graduated from the University of Maryland in 2019 with a bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism. Previously, she was an intern with MCM. She can be reached at mshahzad@mymcmedia.org or on Twitter @maryam_mcm.

Comments

| Comments are closed.

Engage us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter