Precipitation to start the week. Here are five things to know in Montgomery County for Dec. 16.
1. Highway Rally: A rally has been scheduled for 7 p.m. in the Silver Spring Civic Building, 1 Veterans Place, on the amendments to the multibillion-dollar Beltway and I-270 expansion. Montgomery County Council President Sidney Katz and Vice President Tom Hucker have called for the rally to speak out against the harms recent changes could have. Among those expected at the rally are County Executive Marc Elrich; Councilmembers Gabe Albornoz, Evan Glass and Will Jawando; Reps. Jamie Raskin and Anthony Brown; and Del. Jared Solomon. For more information, contact Councilmember.Hucker@montgomerycountymd.gov or call 240-777-7960.
2. Municipal Monday: The Rockville Mayor and Council meets at 7 p.m. at Rockville City Hall, 111 Maryland Ave. The Gaithersburg Mayor and City Council meets at 7:30 p.m. at City Hall, 31 S. Summit Ave. The Poolesville Town Council meets at 7:30 in Town Hall, 19721 Beall St.
3. School Board Pay: The Board of Education Compensation Commission meets at 7 p.m. at the Executive Office Building, 101 Monroe St., Rockville. The meeting is open to the public, but because the Executive Office Building is locked in the evening, and because the room may change, please contact Dale Tibbitts at (240) 777-2593 or email@example.com if you plan to attend.
4. Library’s Future: Anita Vassallo, director of county libraries, talks her vision for libraries.
The Director is in!
MCPL Director, Anita Vassallo, talks shop with Julia Dina and Lauren Martino, discusses how she got to where she is today, tells a story of a customer interaction and how it affected her as well as her vision for the future of MCPL. https://t.co/pc9Q7QVRgP pic.twitter.com/97m6MgWGwS
— mcpl_Libraries (@MCPL_Libraries) December 3, 2019
5. ICYMI: Montgomery Talks sat down with Councilmember Craig Rice. Two big topics. The first was the expansion of a coding program for students that’s being expanded with an assist from Apple. And the second was on the Kirwan Commission, especially what’s being proposed and how it will be funded.
And one more thing …The Festival of Lights is continuing through Dec. 31 at Brookside Gardens, 1800 Glenallan Ave., Wheaton. For more information, click here.
Okay, we’ll add a seventh thing… MCPS has closed schools due to inclement weather.