Today is Friday, Aug. 20, and here are five things to know in Montgomery County.
1. Food Assistance: Montgomery County has three food distribution events today. The first is the Interfaith Works HUB food distribution from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (drive through from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., walk-ups from noon to 12:30 p.m.) at 751 Twinbrook Parkway in Rockville. The second event is the St. John’s Nourishing Bethesda Family Food Program at 5020 Battery Lane in Bethesda from 1 to 3 p.m. The third event is a walk-up food distribution that takes place at Seneca Creek Community Church which is located at 13 Firstfield Road in Gaithersburg from 2 to 3 p.m. Check the county’s website here for more food distribution events this weekend.
2. Agricultural Fair: The last day to attend this year’s fair in Gaithersburg is Saturday, Aug. 21. Enjoy some photos below.
3. Advocacy Training: Applications are due Friday to attend the Community Advocacy Institute, an eight-month-long program to teach participants how to work with elected officials, write letters, develop testimony and research key advocacy issues.
4. Back-to-School Fair: Montgomery County Public Schools kick off the new school year with a fair on Saturday, August 21 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Westfield Wheaton Mall. The county will have a COVID-19 vaccination clinic at the fair.
5. Pooch Pool Party: The county’s annual end of summer dog swim is scheduled for Saturday and Sunday at the Upper County Outdoor Pool in Gaithersburg from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Dogs must have a current Montgomery County dog license and written proof of rabies vaccination. Dog owners register online via the Active Montgomery’s website.
And as a reminder to our loyal readers…Find the latest coronavirus news updates in Montgomery County here.