Today is Monday, Aug. 23. Mostly cloudy today with a high temperature of 90 degrees. Here are five things to know in Montgomery County.
1. Back to School: In just one week on Aug. 30, Montgomery County Public Schools will greet students for the new school year. Maryland requires numerous immunizations for students attending public schools. Parents are required to submit proof of immunization before the first day of school. Families may contact their doctor for the immunizations or the county offers free immunizations Monday through Friday in Germantown, Rockville, or Silver Spring locations.
2. Municipal Monday: The Mayor and Council of Gaithersburg meet virtually at 7:30 p.m. for a worksession The agenda may be found here.
3. School Safety Concerns: Parents are concerned with the spread of COVID-19 at lunch and are urging Montgomery County Public Schools to create specific plans.
4. Walk up Food Distribution: Stop by Seneca Creek Community Church in Gaithersburg from 2 to 3 p.m. to receive boxed groceries. The groceries will be available near the loading dock on the right side of the building. See more food distribution events here.
5. Nursing Home COVID-19 Safety: According to the New York Times, about 40% of the country’s nursing home work force remains unvaccinated. Montgomery County nursing homes stand out for the rate of staff and resident vaccinations.
And as a reminder to our loyal readers…Find the latest coronavirus news updates in Montgomery County here.