It’s Friday, Dec. 1, and here are five things to know in Montgomery County. Check the weather forecast here.
1. World AIDS Day: Montgomery County will commemorate World AIDS Day on Friday with the thirds annual World AIDS Day Solidarity for Health Equity Breakfast. The disease has led to the deaths of more than 40.4 million people, according to the World Health Organization.
2. Weekend Plans: Find things to do this weekend in our Roundup.
3. Holiday Events: Many communities officially start the winter holiday season with a evening of carols, hot chocolate, visits from Santa and a tree lighting ceremony. We found five happening this weekend in Poolesville, Rockville, Gaithersburg and two in Kensington. Also, on Saturday, Bethesda’s Winter Wonderland event returns from 1-4 p.m.
4. Transportation Open House: Learn about the Maryland Department of Transportation’s plans for the American Legion Bridge and I-270 Corridor during Saturday’s meeting at Wootton High School in Rockville from 10 a.m.-noon.
5. Whiskey Lotteries: Montgomery County’s Alcohol Beverage Services (ABS) will open registration for limited availability whiskey lotteries that provide a chance to purchase highly sought spirits on Sunday. The lotteries are only open to county residents and licensees. ABS expects to release more than 400 bottles for purchase.