Today is Friday, Feb. 19, and here are five things to know in Montgomery County:
1. Changes to Trash and Recycling Schedules: County collection schedule slips by a day, so Thursday collections take place on Friday and Friday collections will be on Saturday. Collections are now scheduled for today for Rockville residents whose usual collection day is Wednesday. Thursday, Feb. 18 recycling collection for residents in the city of Gaithersburg is rescheduled for Saturday, Feb. 20.
2. COVID-19 Testing: Free COVID-19 testing is available throughout the county at eight testing sites today, six Saturday, three Sunday.
3. Happy 100th Birthday: Residents can celebrate the historic Dentzel Carousel’s 100th anniversary with special events happening over the next several months. At 12:30 p.m. today take a virtual tour of the carousel with National Park Service Ranger Kevin Patti.
4. Lunar New Year Celebration: Rockville’s annual lunar new year celebration goes virtual this year and features cultural performances. The event takes place Saturday, Feb. 20 at 11 a.m. Watch the YouTube premiere below or on YouTube.
5. Boyds Negro School open house: The historic Boyds Negro School will be open to visitors Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 20 and 21, 2 to 4 p.m. Masks and distancing required, no more than six people are allowed in the building at one time. The school is located at 19510 White Ground Road in Boyds.
Throughout Black History Month, MyMCM will profile Montgomery County residents who have made significant contributions.
And as a reminder to our loyal readers…Find the latest coronavirus news updates in Montgomery County here.