Today is Friday, Feb. 3. Here is the 10 day forecast and 5 things to know today as we head into the weekend.
1. Black History Month Event: The Montgomery Parks exhibit “The Rise of Newmantown” is on display today and tomorrow from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Agricultural History Farm Park in Derwood. Learn the history of Albert and Mary Newman, who in 1862 emigrated from Virginia as freedmen to farm and build a thriving African American community known as “Newmantown.” The exhibit is on display every Friday and Saturday in February.
Montgomery Parks Preserves Black History With Programs and Museums
2. Film Festival: AFI Silver Theatre’s George Pelecanos Film Festival opens today and runs through April 23. See some of the Pelecanos’ favorite films.
‘George Pelecanos Presents’ Features Some of ‘The Wire’ Screenwriter’s Favorite Films
3. Council Meets with Senator Van Hollen: The Council meets virtually with U.S. Senator Chris Van Hollen today at 3 p.m. to discuss housing affordability, economic development, public safety and health care. The meeting will broadcast on County Cable Montgomery and streamed on Facebook.
4. Transit Equity Day: the Montgomery County Department of Transportation celebrates Transit Equity Day with commemorative seat reservation bus cards Saturday in honor of Rosa Parks’ birthday.
5. Library Lovers Month: Throughout the month of February, the library branches host virtual events and activities to spotlight library resources and services.Today, the month kicks off with a virtual STEM event at 11 a.m.
And as a reminder to our loyal readers…Find the latest coronavirus news updates in Montgomery County here.
For the latest news and events in Montgomery County, stay with MyMCMedia. We hope you will also follow MyMCMedia on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.