Fire in Gaithersburg Townhouse Leaves One Man Seriously Injured

One man is in critical condition after a fire erupted in a Gaithersburg townhome late Wednesday night, according to officials.

Montgomery County Fire and Rescue responded to the fire along Bayridge Drive in Gaithersburg around 11:30 p.m.

One man who is currently in critical condition was rescued from the basement after being found on the floor. He was taken to the hospital after suffering from severe burns and smoke inhalation, according to officials. Another adult was injured in the fire but sustained minor injuries. Three other residents managed to escape unharmed.

Pete Piringer, chief spokesperson for Montgomery County Fire and Rescue, said the fire appeared to originate from the basement. Officials believe the fire started after a space heater next to a bed caused the sheets to ignite. The man who was later rescued from the basement had attempted to escape and left a door open, causing the fire to spread.

The blaze caused over $500,000 in damage to the townhouse.

Like this post? Sign up for our Daily Update here.

About Toluwa Famuyide

A current senior at the University of Maryland, focusing on Broadcast Journalism. Lover of sports, music, and telling stories. Can be reached at tfamuyide@mymcmedia.org.

Comments

| Comments are closed.

Engage us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter