Mostly cloudy early with a high of 54 degrees, check out the weather forecast. Today is Monday, March 16 and here are five things you need to know in Montgomery County:
1. Coronavirus Cases Climb: Officials announce Sunday that Montgomery County now has 12 confirmed cases of COVID-19, six of which were just confirmed on Saturday.
2. County Schools Close: Montgomery County Public Schools close today for the next two weeks. The school system said a decision about using spring break as make up days would be announced as soon as possible. Students have work to complete at home and there will be 20 locations for “Ready to Go” meals.
3. Metro Service Reductions: Changes to rail and bus service announced Friday, March 13 begin today. Metro asks anyone who is ill to not use public transportation.
4. A Chance to Say Thank You: Over a year ago, police officer Michael Damskey rescued Rokhaya Ding from her burning car. Recently, Ding was reunited with Damskey.
5. Free Ride On: Starting today, Ride On in Montgomery County will be temporarily free.
And one more thing: Montgomery county offices remain open for business and operations are continuing. A list of closures may be found here.
Still not sure about hand washing. Here is a short video from our county health officer, Dr. Travis Gayles: