1. Municipal Monday: Rockville’s Mayor and Council has a drop-in session at 5:30 p.m. with Mayor Bridget Donnell Newton and Councilmember Mark Pierzchala. The Mayor and Council session begins at 7 p.m. at City Hall, 111 Maryland Ave. Gaithersburg’s Mayor and Council hold a worksession starting at 7:30 p.m. at 31 S. Summit Ave. Kensington has scheduled a closed session at 6 p.m. and then a town council meeting at 7 p.m. at Town Hall, 3710 Mitchell St, Kensington. Poolesville’s Town Council meets at 7:30 p.m. at Town Hall, 19721 Beall St.
2. County Council Back in Session: Several committees are meeting. PHED meets at 9:30 a.m. in the Seventh-Floor Hearing Room. Public Safety meets at 2 p.m. in the Seventh-Floor Hearing Room. Education and Culture meets at 2 p.m. in the Third-Floor Hearing Room. See agendas here.
3. Dog Park Hearing: Some opponents have been barking over the Brookville Road Dog Exercise Area in Chevy Chase Village and now it’s the subject of a meeting. It starts at 7:30 p.m. at the Village Hall. Proponents say, “Humans only, please.”
4. Don’t Forget: The new Wheaton Library is open. The ribbon cutting was over the weekend.
— mcpl_Libraries (@MCPL_Libraries) September 8, 2019
5. ICMYI: One person died in a fatal accident on Georgia Avenue at the Intercounty Connector.
And one more thing … On this date in 1945, computer legend Grace Murray Hopper coined the phrase “bug” when a moth was removed from a computer relay and taped into a log. The system had a “bug,” she said, and the phrase stuck.
Rediscover Grace Murray Hopper:
A mathematician, Navy Vet and Arlington Resident, Hopper broke down gender barriers throughout her career in the emerging field of computer science.
In 1969 she was even named the first computer science ‘Man of the Year’…https://t.co/yopqbp8xYz pic.twitter.com/Sof7mnE00T
— Arlington VA Pub Lib (@ArlingtonVALib) August 19, 2019