smoke alarms

March 5, 2019 | Michelle Queen

Spring Ahead for Daylight Saving Time on Sunday

Remember to Set Your Clocks Ahead Daylight Saving Time (DST) starts Sunday morning, March 10 at 2 a.m. therefore remember to set your clocks ahead by one hour before going to sleep Saturday night. An extra hour of sunlight during the evening is the result of Daylight Saving Time. The changeover back to standard time […]

Read more

July 23, 2018 | Marian Merewitz

Connecting Our Community ep. 125: New Smoke Alarm Law

Smoke Alarms! Do you know about the new law that took effect January 1st? Is your smoke alarm going to help keep you safe in the event of a fire? On this episode of Connecting Our Community, host Pat Shoemaker discusses the changes in the Maryland law concerning smoke alarms, with Jim Resnick from Montgomery […]

Read more

November 27, 2017 | Staff Writer

photo of smoke alarm

Starting January 1, Maryland Law Requires Ten-Year/Long-Life Batteries in All Battery-Only Smoke Alarms

A new Maryland state law requiring long-life batteries in smoke alarms takes effect on January 1, 2018. A document from Montgomery County government outlines the changes required of homeowners. According to the document, homeowners must: 1. Replace battery-only operated smoke alarms with units powered by sealed- in, ten-year/long-life batteries with a “silence/hush” feature. 2. Upgrade […]

Read more

July 3, 2017 | Staff Writer

Dozens of Firefighters Battle Townhouse Fire in Gaithersburg, One Person Injured

UPDATED One person was injured at the scene of a townhouse fire on Bluebird Terrace in Gaithersburg on Monday night, according to a Montgomery County fire official. Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson Pete Piringer said the blaze occurred in the 9200 block of Bluebird Terrace. According to Piringer, over 80 firefighters battled heavy fire conditions […]

Read more

May 3, 2017 | Sonya Burke

Aspen Hill Fire Displaces Two People

UPDATED Dozens of firefighters battled a house fire in the 4100 block of Southend Road in Aspen Hill overnight, according to a Montgomery County fire official. Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson Pete Piringer said the blaze occurred around midnight. He said two people inside the house were alerted to the fire by smoke alarms. He […]

Read more

March 12, 2017 | Staff Writer

House Fire Displaces Family in Olney (PHOTOS)

A house fire on Broom Drive in Olney has displaced a family of four and their two dogs, according to a Montgomery County fire official. Fire and Rescue Service Spokesperson Pete Piringer said smoke alarms alerted the family to the fire on Sunday morning shortly before noon. There were no injuries, he reported on his […]

Read more

March 11, 2017 | Staff Writer

Spring Forward Sunday: Don’t Forget to Reset Your Clocks

Don’t forget to turn your clocks ahead at 2 a.m. Sunday morning, March 12, for daylight saving time (DST). DST is the period of the year when clocks are moved one hour ahead, resulting in an extra hour of sunlight during the evening hours. The changeover back to standard time (ST) occurs November 5 at 2 a.m. […]

Read more

February 24, 2017 | Douglas Tallman

Family of Five Displaced After Fire; Home Lacked Smoke Alarms

A Montgomery Village family of five was displaced Friday morning after an attic fire caused about $25,000 worth of damage, fire officials said. The townhouse did not have smoke alarms, said Pete Piringer, spokesman for the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service. Fire officials were called to the townhouse in the morning to find light […]

Read more

February 2, 2017 | Staff Writer

House Fire in Dickerson Causes About $100,000 in Damages (PHOTO)

A house fire in Dickerson caused an estimated $100,000 in damages overnight, according to a Montgomery County fire official. Fire and Rescue Services spokesperson Pete Piringer said dozens of firefighters responded to the blaze at around 2 a.m. at 19201 Martinsburg Road. According to Piringer, a neighbor called 9-1-1 to report the fire, and the […]

Read more

November 21, 2016 | Staff Writer

Be Careful When Cooking This Thanksgiving (VIDEO)

Kitchen fires occur more frequently during the holiday season. Montgomery County Fire Captain Oscar Garcia said it is important to avoid unattended cooking when entertaining this holiday season. Visit our PEG partner County Cable Montgomery to view more of its local programming. Thinking of frying your #Thanksgiving #turkey? We urge you to watch this video! […]

Read more

Engage us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter