Another year, another Gaithersburg Book Festival.
The coronavirus can’t stop the city’s book worms and writers from coming together, even if they won’t be gathering in Bohrer Park. Mayor Jud Ashman discusses what to expect at this year’s Virtual Gaithersburg Book Festival:
The Virtual Gaithersburg Book Festival launches Saturday and there there will be activities for four consecutive weeks. All author discussions (listed below) will be live or will premiere on the GBF’s YouTube page.
Saturday May 16
- Live discussion at 1 p.m. features Elizabeth Wetmore, author of “Valentine,” and Elizabeth Chiles Shelburne, author of “Holding On To Nothing.”
- Video premiere at 3 p.m. of children’s author Ronald L. Smith discussing “Shuri: A Black Panther Novel” (Marvel).
- Live discussion at 7 p.m. featuring Tom Fitzgerald and Lorenzo Marquez, authors of “Legendary Children: The First Decade of RuPaul’s Drag Race and the Last Century of Queer Life.”
Weekend of May 22 – May 24
- Friday, May 22 at 5:30 p.m.: TGIF Live! features Louis Bayard, author of “Courting Mr. Lincoln,” in conversation with Jennifer Bort Yacovissi.
- Saturday, May 23 at 7 p.m.: Saturday Night Premiere features Jonathan Karl, author of “Front Row at the Trump Show,” in conversation with Susan Page.
- Sunday, May 24 at 11 a.m.: Sunday Morning Kids features a live conversation with Adam Gidwitz, author of “Unicorn Rescue Society #5: The Madre de Aguas of Cuba.”
Weekend of May 29 – May 31
- Friday, May 29 at 5:30 p.m.: TGIF Live! features Ruth Marcus, author of “Supreme Ambition: Brett Kavanaugh and the Conservative Takeover,” in conversation with Tom Rosenstiel, author of “OPPO, A Novel.”
- Saturday, May 30 at 7 p.m.: Saturday Night Premiere features Sarah Pekkanen, author of “You Are Not Alone,” and Kate White, author of “Have You Seen Me?: A Novel of Suspense,” in conversation with Karin Tanabe.
- Sunday, May 31 at 11 a.m.: Sunday Morning Kids features a live conversation with Tom Angleberger, author of “Didi Dodo Future Spy: Double-O Dodo #3.”
Weekend of June 5 – June 7
- Friday, June 5 at 5:30 p.m.: TGIF Live! features Casey Cep, author of “Furious Hours: Murder, Fraud and the Last Trial of Harper Lee” in conversation with Eugene L. Meyer.
- Saturday, June 6 at 7 p.m.: Saturday Night Premiere features George Zaidan, author of “Ingredients: The Strange Chemistry of What We Put in Us and on Us” in conversation with Regina Nuzzo.
- Sunday, June 7 at 11 a.m.: Sunday Morning Kids features a live conversation with Linda Sue Park, author of “Prairie Lotus.”
Weekend of June 12 – June 14
- Friday, June 12 at 5:30 p.m.: TGIF Live! features Meg Waite Clayton, author of “The Last Train to London,” and Alex George, author of “The Paris Hours,” in conversation with Carrie Callaghan, author of “Salt the Snow.”
- Saturday, June 13 at 7 p.m.: Saturday Night Premiere features EJ Dionne, author of “Code Red: How Progressives and Moderates Can Unite to Save Our Country.”
- Sunday, June 14 at 11 a.m.: Sunday Morning Kids features a conversation with Juana Medina, author of “Juana and Lucas: Big Problemas.”
- Sunday, June 14 at 3 p.m.: The Gaithersburg Book Festival will close with a presentation from Maria Russo, author of “How to Raise a Reader,” in conversation with Kathie Weinberg.