A fire at a two-story townhouse in Gaithersburg displaced five adults and three children Monday morning, causing approximately $125,000 in damages, according to Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services (MCFRS) Chief Spokesperson Pete Piringer.
Around 2 a.m., MCFRS were called to the 900 block of Wild Forest Drive off Travis Ave. Firefighters were met with smoke and fire venting through a window. Residents were awoken by the smoke and made it out unharmed.
A portable charging device malfunction caused the fire. The charger, placed on the floor, was charging a tablet. The cause of the malfunction is currently unknown.
Update – Wild Forest Dr; TH; smoke & fire showing upon arrival (fire ‘vented’ thru window as FFs arrived); residents awaken by smoke; Cause, unk malfunction of portable charging device; Origin, (tablet) portable battery charger (on floor); Damage, ~$125K; Displaced 5adults/3kids https://t.co/r8W7JJgbFY
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) July 4, 2022