fire safety

April 10, 2019 | Jordan Lindsay

Firefighters Battle Two Large Fires Tuesday Night

Firefighters battled two separate and significant fires in the county on Tuesday evening. Fire officials say just before 10:00 pm they responded to a Sport Honda dealership located on the 3000 block of Automobile Boulevard in Burtonsville. It took several hours, and about 75 firefighters to put the blaze out due to the heavy volume […]

Read more

February 22, 2019 | Jordan Lindsay

The Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Service Has a New K-9 Addition

Piper is a 15-month-old black Labrador Retriever, and she is the newest addition to the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service. Officials say Piper will be trained to detect human remains. Watch the story to learn more about Piper, and how she will help local firefighters.  

Read more

February 15, 2019 | Jordan Lindsay

Officials say Closed Doors Can Save Lives During a Fire

Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services Chief Spokesman, Pete Piringer says closed doors during a fire is important, and could determine life or death in some situations. Watch the video to hear more details.

Read more

November 27, 2017 | Staff Writer

photo of smoke alarm

Starting January 1, Maryland Law Requires Ten-Year/Long-Life Batteries in All Battery-Only Smoke Alarms

A new Maryland state law requiring long-life batteries in smoke alarms takes effect on January 1, 2018. A document from Montgomery County government outlines the changes required of homeowners. According to the document, homeowners must: 1. Replace battery-only operated smoke alarms with units powered by sealed- in, ten-year/long-life batteries with a “silence/hush” feature. 2. Upgrade […]

Read more

January 11, 2017 | Sonya Burke

Fire Safety: Dispose of Fireplace Ashes Safely (VIDEO)

It’s already been a busy year for firefighters when it comes to house fires. “We can almost predict this every season,” said Pete Piringer, a spokesperson for the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service. “When we have cold weather people are using their fireplaces and heating systems. Heating is the number one cause of fire.” […]

Read more

December 21, 2016 | Sonya Burke

Rockville House Fire Causes $600,000 in Damages, Two People Displaced (PHOTOS & VIDEO)

Montgomery County firefighters battled a house fire on Tuesday night in the 1700 block of Pasture Brook Way in Rockville. Fire and Rescue Services spokesperson Pete Piringer said when firefighters arrived at the scene, around 10:45 p.m. on Dec. 20, there were flames throughout the house. According to Piringer, the occupants of the house safely […]

Read more

November 28, 2016 | Sonya Burke

Fire Chief Reports a Recent Increase in Number of Fires Sparked by Ashes (VIDEO)

Montgomery County firefighters responded to a number of kitchen fires on Thanksgiving Day in Montgomery County. Fire Chief Scott Goldstein also reports a recent increase in the number of fires sparked by improperly discarded fireplace ashes. Goldstein said it is important to discard ashes from a fireplace or wood stove in a metal can and […]

Read more

November 22, 2015 | Sonya Burke

Fire Safety Tips to Remember When Cooking in the Kitchen (VIDEO)

Throughout the year, cooking is a leading cause of fires. On County Report This Week, Fire and Rescue Spokesperson Pete Piringer shared some tips to stay safe when cooking in the kitchen this Thanksgiving week. You can find more safety tips, see below, on the fire department’s website. · Be alert. If you are sleepy […]

Read more

May 18, 2015 | Sonya Burke

photo of Pete Piringer

Make Sure You Have a Working Smoke Alarm (VIDEO)

In this MyMCMedia Extra video, Fire and Rescue Services Spokesperson Pete Piringer stresses the importance of fire safety. Take a look:

Read more

January 20, 2015 | Krista Brick

Home Safety Check Helps Seniors Stay Fire Safe

A new initiative to help seniors in the county with free safety evaluations showed that more than 90 percent of smoke alarms checked in the home visits were either not working on past their usable life span. The fire department recently launched a “Home Safety Check” program for seniors in the county. Initial results from […]

Read more

Engage us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter