Today is Friday, Dec. 9. Here is the 10 day forecast and 5 things to know today as we head into the weekend.
1. Safe Driver Presentation: The county will share safety tips for older drivers today at the North Potomac Recreation Center from 1-2 p.m.
2. MCM’s Last Class of the Year: Our last media class for December, “Capturing Holiday Memories with your Smartphone”, takes place Monday, Dec. 12 at our Silver Spring Media Lab. This workshop goes over some of the basic ways to use your smartphone as a media making tool. This is a perfect start for someone who wants to get to know how to use their phone as a creative tool or wants to “level up” their smart phone production skills.
3. Transportation Alerts: This weekend, Metro Red Line trains will single track between the Glenmont and Forest Glen stations for a switch replacement project. Also, on Saturday, the westbound lane of Reedie Drive between Georgia Avenue and Amherst Avenue will be closed from 7 a.m. until 4 p.m. During this time Ride On Routes 7, 8, 9 and 31 will detour to enter the Wheaton Transit Center.
4. Used Car and Computer Sale: Students in the Montgomery County Students Automotive Trades Foundation (ATF) and Information Technology Foundation (ITF) will sell used cars and computers that they have refurbished Saturday at Gaithersburg High School from 9 to 11 a.m.
5. Contemporary Conversation: Author Michael Twitty will speak about the connection between foods and traditions of the African Atlantic and the global Jewish diaspora Saturday at 7 p.m. The presentation is the next session in the libraries’ “Contemporary Conversations” The series is free and sponsored by Friends of the Library, Montgomery County, Inc. Registration is required for this virtual presentation.
And One More Thing: Brookside’s Garden of Lights display is open for its 24th year through Jan 1, 2023. Tickets must be purchased online in advance. Gaithersburg’s Winter Lights at Seneca Creek State Park is open now through Dec. 31. Tickets are only available online.
And as a reminder to our loyal readers…Find the latest coronavirus news updates in Montgomery County here.