Today is Friday, Feb. 10. Here is the 10 day forecast and 5 things to know today as we head into the weekend.
1. Black History Month: The Montgomery Parks exhibit “The Rise of Newmantown” is on display today and tomorrow from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Agricultural History Farm Park in Derwood. Learn the history of Albert and Mary Newman, who in 1862 emigrated from Virginia as freedmen to farm and build a thriving African American community known as “Newmantown.” The exhibit is on display every Friday and Saturday in February.
Also, explore Rockville’s African American history with a self-guided walking tour that chronicles the city’s black history from the 18th through the 20th centuries.
2. Sports Hall of Fame Nominations: Today is the last day to submit a nomination for the 2023 Montgomery County Sports Hall of Fame.
3. Film Festival: AFI Silver Theatre’s George Pelecanos Film Festival continues this weekend and runs through April 21. See some of Pelecanos’ favorite films. The action thriller film “Coffy” screens Friday at 7 p.m. and again Saturday at 4:30 p.m. Pelecanos introduces Friday’s showing.
‘George Pelecanos Presents’ Features Some of ‘The Wire’ Screenwriter’s Favorite Films
4. Lantern Festival: Rockville hosts their annual Lantern Festival Saturday from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. with live performances and activities.
5. Used Car and Computer Sale: MCPS students in the Automotive Trades Foundation (ATF) and Information Technology Foundation (ITF) programs will sell refurbished cars and computers this weekend Saturday from 9-11 a.m. at Damascus High School.
And as a reminder to our loyal readers…Find the latest coronavirus news updates in Montgomery County here.
For the latest news and events in Montgomery County, stay with MyMCMedia. We hope you will also follow MyMCMedia on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.