Today is Friday, June 18, and here are five things to know in Montgomery County:
1. Juneteenth Celebrations: Thursday, President Biden signed into law a bill making Juneteenth a federal holiday. June 19, 1865, is the day slavery ended everywhere in the United States. Maryland and Montgomery County are observing the holiday today. Here is the schedule for government offices and services today. There are numerous events planned in the county on Saturday, June 19, to observe Juneteenth.
2. Summer Season for County Outdoor Pools: The county’s outdoor pools start their summer season this weekend.
— MoCo Rec (@MoCoRec) June 3, 2021
3. Takoma Park “Show Your Pride Weekend”: Main Street Takoma is celebrating the LGBTQ+ community this weekend. There will be specials at the local businesses. See the Main Street Takoma website for a list of events Saturday and Sunday.
4. Live at RedGate Concerts: Tickets become available Saturday, June 19 for this series of free outdoor music concerts which take place at the former RedGate Golf Course in Rockville from June 23 through June 26.
5. County Reopens Animal Center: The Montgomery County Animal Services and Adoption Center is fully opening its facility in Derwood on Sunday, June 20 after being closed to visitors without appointments due to the pandemic.
And as a reminder to our loyal readers…Find the latest coronavirus news updates in Montgomery County here.