Today is Friday, Nov. 5 and here are five things to know in Montgomery County.
1. COVID-19 Vaccinations: Children between the ages of 5 and 11 are now eligible to receive the Pfizer pediatric COVID-19 vaccine. Governor Hogan announced Wednesday providers could begin to schedule appointments and hold clinics to vaccinate children. The public schools and the county’s health department are holding vaccination clinics, both at schools and county sites. Appointments are required and can be made at www.GoVaxMoco.com. The county’s health department will make a daily announcement when new appointments are posted on Twitter.
2. BOE Seeks Candidates: The Board of Education is accepting applications to fill their District 3 seat through today at 5 p.m. Patricia O’Neill held the seat for many years until her death in September.
Board of Education Seeks Applicants for Patricia O’Neill’s Seat
3. Social Justice Projection Art Exhibition: Certain Party or Parties Unknown is a temporary multi-media public art exhibit in downtown Rockville tonight and Saturday from 7 to 9 p.m. Images focused on the three known lynchings that took place in Montgomery County during the late 1880s will be projected onto buildings in downtown Rockville. A short walk to view the installation and learn more about this part of our history begins at the Historic Red Brick Courthouse. The exhibit is free, RSVP is requested online.
6 regional artists project their artwork onto Downtown #Rockville buildings in remembrance of historic injustice –> https://t.co/rGpAUhIycF | Join AHCMC on Nov 5-6 for Certain Party or Parties Unknown, a #socialjustice projection art exhibition. #creativemoco #CPPU #DMV #MoCo pic.twitter.com/oudS1hArms
— AHCMC (@creativemoco) October 27, 2021
4. Football Playoffs: High school football playoffs start today and the MyMCMedia’s Friday Night Lights Game of the Week features Walter Johnson at Bethesda-Chevy Chase at 6:30 p.m. Follow @TravisDC95 on Twitter for live scoring updates.
The @mymcmedia Friday Night Lights Game of the Week…Playoff edition will feature a rematch with the @WJWildcatFB taking on the @BCC_Barons at 7:00p.m. We’ll have live coverage throughout the evening! It’s win or go home season.🏈🏈🏈 🔥🔥🔥🏉🏉🏉
— Travis Chase (@TravisDC95) November 4, 2021
5. Park Closures: The Woodstock Equestrian Park in Beallsville is closed today as part of Montgomery Parks annual deer population management program. Saturday, Nov. 6 the Bennett Creek Conservation Park in Damascus is scheduled to be closed. Find the full schedule of park closures, here.
Park Closures Due to Deer Population Management Program Begin this Week
And one more thing: Montgomery Parks hosts a celebration of the recently renovated Maydale Nature Classroom Saturday from 2-5 p.m. The free event will include a brief speaking program and self-guided tours of the facility. Activities will include s’mores around a campfire, arts and crafts, and cider pressing. The event takes place at Maydale Conservation Park, 1638 Maydale Drive in Colesville.
Maydale Nature Classroom Hosts Community Celebration Saturday
And a reminder: Daylight Saving Time ends at 2 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 7.
And as a reminder to our loyal readers…Find the latest coronavirus news updates in Montgomery County here.
For the latest news and events in Montgomery County, stay with MyMCMedia. We hope you will also follow MyMCMedia on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.