1. Back to School: Montgomery County Public Schools welcome back students virtually today for the first day of the new school year. Check out our back to school stories, here.
2. COVID-19 Testing: Montgomery County is holding three free testing clinics today, one in Germantown and two in Silver Spring. Testing is available from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the PlumGar Community Recreation Center in Germantown and at the Wheaton Library and Community Recreation Center. Testing is also available from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Silver Spring Civic Building. More information is available here.
3. Reimagining Public Safety Task Force: This new task force will meet for the first time at 6:30 p.m. The meeting will be streamed live on the county’s Facebook page, here.
4. Last Day to Vote: U.S. Rep. Jamie Raskin challenged Maryland’s 8th District to a mask contest and today is the last day to vote for your favorite homemade mask. Cast your vote, here.
5. MCM Classes: Are you ready to produce great content with MCM? Then sign up for one of our upcoming virtual classes. On Sept. 10, we have an orientation where you can learn about what MCM’s Education Department has to offer. On Sept. 14, you can begin our 2-session long “Step into Virtual Podcasting” class. We would love to have you be part of our MCM family.
And one more thing: The National Zoo panda cub is over a week old now. Here is a video with a great view of the cub and a link to the story:
And as a reminder to our loyal readers…Find the latest coronavirus news updates in Montgomery County here.